Fill Out Our Free Ssn Support Form For More Advice
Feeling overwhelmed and still have some questions or would like an expert to support? Fill our our Social Security Support Form below and we will do our best to guide you in the right direction. Depending on your question we might send you some helpful resources, or connect you with experienced professionals who can give you a free consultation. Take advantage of the form and submit any questions you might have! The first email consultation is free of charge!
Please note: By sending the form below, you automatically agree that we can forward your data to MTS Relocation & Consulting Services for Spain as well as Proyecto Océano so that they may review your case and provide you with further advice if needed!
Complete our free Social Security Support Form
What Documents To Submit At Your Social Security Number Appointment
- Passport, National ID card * or NIE Card / TIE Card if you have one
- Valid visa if you are a non-EU citizen
- Formal, signed housing contract or the Padrón certificate if you have one
- Employment contract / paid internship contract
*EU citizens can apply for a Social Security Number with their passport or National ID card. However, its important to apply for your NIE Card and update your SSN with your NIE number as soon as possible. For assistance with this process, reach out to MTS Relocation & Consulting Services.
Finding Your Social Security Number
If you have a Social Security Number, you can find it on your Social Security card. Some other places that you can find your SSN are on tax returns, W-2s and bank statements. You may even find it on previously filed USCIS forms. However, if you do not have an SSN, you may generally answer N/A in the space provided on USCIS forms. Most individuals with nonimmigrant visas do not have Social Security numbers.
You may also be able to recover your SSN from an employer. Employers generally keep Social Security information on file. Check with your employer to obtain a copy of the number.
You May Like: Ssa Gov Social Security Benefits
Who Is Eligible For A Social Security Number
- F-1 Students must have a job offer to apply for an SSN.
- F-2 Dependents may not work in the U.S., and they, therefore, do not qualify for an SSN. The Social Security Administration will not accept their applications.
- J-1 Students must have a social security authorization letter from the issuing authority on item 2 of their DS-2019 .
- J-1 Scholars are automatically eligible for an SSN.
- J-2 Dependents may apply for SSN only if they secure work permission through USCIS. Instructions for obtaining J-2 work permission are found here. Contact a J advisor, if you have questions.
- H-1B Employees are automatically eligible for an SSN.
- H-4 Dependents may work in special circumstances. More information is available in the H-1B portion of our website.
All F-2 , J-2 and H-4 Dependents who do not qualify for a Social Security number can obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number . The ITIN is an identification number that can be used for tax filing or some other specific legal purpose.
Your Social Security Number In Spain
Your social security number in Spain entitles you to several important services, including unemployment and disability benefits, pensions, and access to the public health system. Access to the national health system is particularly important for your well-being while in Spain, so make sure youre covered. If youre a British citizen, this is particularly important in light of the developing situation regarding Brexit.
Hopefully, this guide has shed some light on the process of applying for your social security number. However, if you need any assistance with navigating the Spanish social security system or any other aspect of legal proceedings, its sensible to seek professional advice. At Abaco Advisers, weve been assisting our clients with life in Spain for more than 20 years, constantly staying abreast of new developments and procedures. for a consultation without obligation.
Recommended Reading: Ssa Social Security
Obtain Proof Of Employment Eligibility
To be eligible for an SSN, you must provide proof of employment to the Social Security Administration. You must have this documentation in hand before you apply for an SSN. The type of proof varies with the type of work authorization you have:
Applying For An Ssn Online
You can apply for a replacement SSN card online in some circumstances – however, if youre aged over 12 and have never had an SSN before, its obligatory to apply in person.
To get a replacement card online you must:5
- Be an adult US citizen
- Have a US mailing address
- Be applying for a straight replica card – no changes to name required
- Hold a driving license issued by one of a select number of states
If youre applying for a child aged under 12, online then youll need the following:6
- Proof of citizenship for the child – usually a passport
- Proof of age for the child – either a passport or birth certificate under most circumstances
- Proof of identity for the child – this could be a passport, or another form of state-issued ID, or a school, religious or medical record for example
- Proof of identity for the person submitting the application – a passport, drivers license or similar is usually requested
Youll need to apply online and can then mail in the documents needed.5 The rules on whats acceptable are pretty strict – original documents are best, and if not youll have to have copies certified by the agencies who issued them. Make sure you read the small print online before you send your application in.
Don’t Miss: Social/security
Why Do You Need One
A Social Security number is important because you need it to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and get some other government services. You should keep your Social Security card in a safe place with your other important papers and avoid giving it out unnecessarily. Keep in mind that in many cases, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough. But if you do need a replacement, we make it easy.
How Do I Apply For A Social Security Number
Step 1: Be in the U.S. for 10 Days with ‘Active’ Record
If you are in F-1, H-1B or J-1 status, the data that confirms your status and the fact that you are eligible for a Social Security Number has to be accessed on-line by the agent of the Social Security Administration at the time you apply. The data will not travel from the Immigration Service to the SSA database until two conditions apply:
Don’t Miss: What Age Does Social Security Stop
Calculate The Best Time To Start Social Security
If you are confused about when to start, you can use the Social Security Explorer part of the NewRetirement Retirement Planner to compare your monthly income and maximum lifetime payout at different ages.
Or, you might consider the following rules of thumb:
- Take Early: The only people who should consider taking their Social Security early are those who absolutely need the money immediately, or those who do not expect to live for very long, due to illness
- Take at Full Retirement Age: Should you have reason to believe that you will not live past the age of 80, then generally speaking you will maximize your social security benefits if you take them when you reach your Full Retirement Age.
- Wait as Long as Possible: On the other hand, if you are confident that you will live past the age of 80 or 85, then most experts recommend that you defer your social security for as long as you can , so as to maximize the benefits you receive from it.
- Other: If you have dependent children, the additional benefits you receive for them might make filing when you are younger worthwhile.
It can also be a very good idea to have an overall retirement plan before you decide when to start your Social Security benefits. The NewRetirement Retirement Planner can help you assess all of your sources of retirement income and whether or not you will have enough to cover your expenses. This tool was recently named a best retirement calculator by the American Association of Individual Investors .
You Meet Ssa Quarantine Requirements
You will need to be in the U.S. for at least 14 days prior to the appointment date. If you are not sure if you will be in the U.S. long enough, complete the request form anyway and you will be contacted when you are eligible to sign up for an appointment. Please note that these are SSA requirements, not Yale requirements, so vaccination status is not relevant.
Also Check: What Will I Draw From Social Security
Get Personalized Support With Your Social Security Number Application
The process for getting the Social Security number in Spain is definitely tricky. We understand that you might need help to make your appointment and filling out the correct form, which is why we want to connect you with MTS Relocation & Consulting Services! They offer many services to help their clients prepare for the SSN but also other legal procedures like the NIE/TIE, Autorización de Regreso, TIE Renewal, Padrón Certificate, Spanish citizenship and so on. From simply making your appointment to preparing all the required documents on time!
Where Can I Get A Social Security Card
If you have never been issued a Social Security card, you may apply for one at no cost at a local Social Security office. You will need to:
- Bring a completed Form SS-5 and,
- Provide at least two documents to confirm your age, identity and citizenship or legal presence.
Acceptable documents include but are not limited to an original birth certificate, valid U.S. driver’s license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport. If a U.S. birth certificate exists you MUST submit it. See Learn What Documents You Need to find acceptable documents. Only originals or copies certified by the agency that issued the document will be accepted. Individuals who are not U.S. citizens must provide a current U.S. immigration document and foreign passport with biographical information or photograph.
Related Documents & Topics
If you have lost your Social Security card and need to get a replacement, you may be able to request a replacement online:
You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address
- Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card and
- Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from Michigan or one of the other states listed.
How To Apply For An Ssn
The Social Security Administration office in New Haven is currently closed to walk-in traffic. OISS has been working with the SSA to provide special limited appointments specifically for the Yale international community. Please read through this page to confirm your eligibility to apply. The link to request an appointment is at the bottom of this page.
If you have any questions about this process, please check our FAQs below, or and include ‘SSA’ in the subject.
Apply For A Social Security Number At A Social Security Office
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must apply for a Social Security Number in person. The online option is only available to citizens.
U.S. citizens typically need to provide their birth certificates. Immigrants must show proof of immigration status instead. This can include the following documents.
- Lawful Permanent Resident Card with an unexpired foreign passport
- Employment Authorization Document also known as EAD or work permit
- Arrival/Departure Record or an admission stamp in an unexpired foreign passport
- F-1 or M-1 students are also required to show their Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status
- J-1 or J-2 exchange visitors must also show their Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status
You may also be required to show proof of work eligibility. Your entry status may give you automatic entry status and be sufficient proof. Students under F-1 or J-1 status need to show proof of eligible employment.
If you need a Social Security Number to receive government benefits, you must provide proof of the law that requires you to have a Social Security Number to receive the benefits. You may also need to show proof of your eligibility for that program.
The SSA often requires original documents. A certified copy of certain documents may also be acceptable.
Recommended Reading: What Will My Social Security Benefits Be When I Retire
Eligibility For The Social Security Number
You may apply for a SSN only if you have:
- been in the US for at least 12 days
- have enrolled and registered for classes at MIT
- your registration has been sent from the ISO to SEVIS
- and no earlier than 30 days of your employment start date
F-1 students may only apply for the Social Security Number if they are employed or have a job offer that starts within 30 days. J-1 students and dependents may apply for the SSN without an employment offer.
You May Be Able To Apply For A Replacement Card Online
You can use a to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address
- Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card and
- Have a drivers license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.
If your drivers license or state-issued identification card was issued by one of the states listed below, this service is not yet available. If your state appears on this list, please check back. We are working to make this service available to additional states.
- West Virginia
This service is also not yet available if your drivers license or identification card was issued by a U.S. territory .
If you are a U.S. citizen, and have not gotten a replacement Social Security card or name change recently, you may not be eligible to use the online replacement card application inmySocial Security.
If you dont have a mySocial Security account, you can create one today. To set up your account, go to:
If you do not qualify to apply online for a card, please follow the instructions in the next section.
Also Check: At What Age Can I Claim Social Security
What Is The Social Security Number & Who Needs To Apply For It
The Social Security number is officially known as the Número de Afiliación de la Seguridad Social, but is often referred to as just the Numéro de Seguridad Social or the SSN. Having it means that you are officially registered as a part of the tax & social security system in Spain and thus you will gain access to many benefits that are a part of the Spanish social system. These benefits include healthcare benefits, social benefits, security and disability benefits, unemployment benefits and other resources that might support you in times of difficulty.
The Social Security number in Spain is required when a person legally living in the country intends to earn money in an official capacity. Unlike other important legal documents that you may need to apply for, the duration of your stay in Spain is not important. You will always need a SSN if you intend to participate in any of the following situations:
- Being employed at a company
- Being self employed
- Being a student taking on a professional, paid internship
- Being a civil servants or military personnel
- Being a business owner or business partner
Access to public healthcare is on of the most important benefits of registering to the Social Security system in Spain. Make sure you know everything about healthcare in Spain so you can properly navigate it during your time here. Also make sure that you contract the best private health insurance possible so youre fully covered!
Social Security Numbers For J
Do you have a new Intern or Trainee program starting soon? J-1 Visa holders are eligible to obtain a Social Security Number , and we encourage obtaining one! J-1 participants will need an SSN in order to get paid by their host company. Even if the program is unpaid, it can be helpful to have. Participants and hosts should discuss in advance whether this is a required by the company, or to receive compensation.
The process for obtaining an SSN is simply, however, there are a number of steps involved, so it takes time. You will need to anticipate and plan accordingly. J-1 participants may arrive in the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start date and they may use this time to apply for the SSN.
How does a J-1 holder obtain a Social Security Number?In order to obtain an SSN, the J-1 participant must take the following steps:
1.Visa Validation. Upon arrival to the U.S., participants must send us their U.S. residential address via our website. We will then use this information to validate their visa within the government SEVIS database within two business days. J-1 holders cannot successfully apply for an SSN until their visa has been validated.
3.Wait. It may take over 2 weeks to receive the SSN, which will be mailed to the address provided on the Form SS-5.
As a reminder, participants should not be classified as independent contractors.
Recommended Reading: Social Secrurity