How To Apply For A Replacement Social Security Card
If you lose your Social Security card, you may be able to apply for a replacement card online through the Social Security Administration website, if you meet certain requirements. Review them here. Otherwise, youll need to follow an application process that involves providing documentation and completing an application.
Here are 3 simple steps to prepare to apply for a replacement Social Security card:
How Do I Protect My Identity If Ive Lost My Social Security Card
There are several things you can do to minimize the risk that your card or number will be used for illicit purposes.
- Place a fraud alert | Contact one of the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit file. You may also want to place a credit freeze. And, while a credit freeze wont stop the majority of identity theft from occurring, it can alert you to suspicious activity and is an important part of layered protection against identity crime.
- Review your financial statements | You should use to help watch your credit card and bank activity for suspicious activity and review your credit reports. Look over your report for any activity you did not authorize, such as opening a new credit card, and immediately report any fraudulent or inaccurate information to creditors.
- Use an Identity Theft Protection Service | These services ensure that your credit and identity are monitored 24/7 by a team of pros who can also help you restore your identity if it is stolen. Make sure you understand exactly how identity theft protection works before you sign up.
Make Payments To The Federal Government
Learn how to use Pay.gov to make secure, electronic payments to government agencies from your checking or savings account. You can use the online service for VA medical care copayments, U.S. district court tickets, U.S. Coast Guard merchant mariner user fee payments, and more.
If you need help, contact Pay.gov customer service.
You May Like: How Early Can You Take Social Security
How Do Benefits Work And How Can I Qualify
While you work, you pay Social Security taxes. This tax money goes into a trust fund that pays benefits to:
Those who are currently retired
To people with disabilities
To the surviving spouses and children of workers who have died
Each year you work, youll get credits to help you become eligible for benefits when its time for you to retire. Find all the benefits Social Security Administration offers.
There are four main types of benefits that the SSA offers:
Learn about earning limits if you plan to work while receiving Social Security benefits
Replacement Card For A Foreign Born Us Child
You can replace your child’s Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However you may not need to get a replacement card, knowing your childâs Social Security number is what’s important. You are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during a lifetime. Legal name changes do not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.
You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. All documents must be current . We cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document.
Replacing Reference To Immigration And Naturalization Service With Department Of Homeland Security
One commenter stated a concern with our updating 20 CFR 422.107 to replace references to Immigration and Naturalization Service with Department of Homeland Security and requested a greater explanation as to why there is a need to do so.
Response: We have not made any changes to the proposed rule in response to this comment. Section 422.107 of our current regulations discusses what evidence we will accept to verify alien status, specifically evidence issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service in accordance with that agency’s regulations. On March 1, 2003, pursuant to the Homeland Security Act of 2002, the pertinent functions of the former INS were transferred to the newly formed DHS. We are not changing the evidence we require, but are simply updating the name of the agency responsible for issuing the evidence to applicants.
Obtaining A Replacement Card Online
Fortunately, the Social Security Administration has a simple procedure for replacing a lost card, either download Form SS-5 or apply online at www.socialsecurity.gov. You are limited to three replacement Social Security number cards per year and only 10 in a lifetime.
You can complete the application online if you’re at least 18 years of age, are a U.S. citizen with a mailing address, are not requesting a name change or other change to the card’s information and you have a valid driver’s license from a state that participates in the online application program.
If you can’t complete the application online, download an application at the Social Security Administration’s website. You can either type your responses directly into the appropriate fields, or print the form and write your responses in blue or black ink. Sign the application using blue or black ink.
Read Also: How Is Social Security Figured Out
What Is A Social Security Number
A social security number is a nine-digit identification number given to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and non-immigrant working residents. Social Security numbers are needed to work in the United States, to collect Social Security benefits, and to be eligible for other social services.
There are three different types of social security cards:
1. The most common type of social security card has the persons name and social security number. This type is typically given to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.
2. The second is designated for temporary workers or those with non-immigrant status. They are valid for employment with DHS authorization and can be used to satisfy I-9 eligibility requirements.
3. The last type is issued only for tax purposes and cannot be used with the I-9 form or for employment.
An I-9 Form is a government form used to verify an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States.
How To Get A Social Security Number
There are two ways that you can get a social security number and card:
1. If you are age 18 or older, you can apply for a social security number in your home country when you apply for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. The U.S. government will use the same information that you give to apply for an immigrant visa to apply for an SSN.
Your social security card will arrive at your mailing address about three weeks after you arrive in the U.S. If you apply for the Social Security number outside of the U.S., you do not have to visit an American Social Security office after entry into the United States.
2. If you are not an immigrant or did not apply for a Social Security number when you applied for an immigrant visa, you must bring your petition and approval notices showing your legal immigration status and approved authorization to work in the United States. Then you should apply for a Social Security number and card by visiting a Social Security office in the U.S.
The Social Security Administration recommends that you wait ten days after arriving in the country to “make it easier for us to verify your Department of Homeland Security documents online, which will speed processing of your Social Security number application.” Applying for a Social Security number is free.
First Reason You Can Get A Second Social Security Number
- Sequential numbers are assigned to people living in the same household that are causing problems.
- When you are a victim of identity theft, and you experience undue hardship associated with the number.
- If you are being harassed, the victim of abuse, or your life is in danger.
- When certain numbers in your social security number have negative cultural or religious connotations. .
Applying For Card In Person
Applicants that have questions or need assistance can call 1-800-772-1213 .
Whether applying for a Social Security card replacement online or applying in person at a local SSA office, applicants should receive the card within 10 to 14 days from the date SSA processes the application. Applicants can ask their local SSA office if it can help facilitate this process.
How To Stop Social Security Check Payments
The SSA can not pay benefits for the month of a recipients death. That means if the person died in July, the check received in August must be returned. Find out how to return a check to the SSA.
If the payment is by direct deposit, notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death. For more about the requirement to return benefits for the month of a beneficiarys death, see the top of page 11 of this SSA publication.
Family members may be eligible for Social Security survivors benefits when a person getting benefits dies. Visit the SSA’s Survivors Benefits page to learn more.
How To Get A Newborn Social Security Number
A newborn Social Security Number is one of the most important documents you can obtain for your new baby. With an SSN, you can enroll your infant in government programs and a medical coverage network. You can also open a savings account for him or her. For these reasons, it is important that you understand how to get a Social Security Number for a newborn.
If you give birth in a hospital, you may be prompted to obtain a Social Security card for your baby by hospital staff. Remember that this is the same as applying for an SSN for your child. This is because the SSN will be printed on your childs Social Security card. This is true regardless of whether you apply for a Social Security card for your newborn baby before you leave the hospital or at a later date in a hospital.
How to Get a Social Security Card for a Baby at the Hospital
You can apply for a Social Security Number for a newborn after you give birth at a hospital. Usually, this option is presented to you when you provide workers with information for your childs birth certificate. If you choose this option, you need to provide SSNs for you and the childs other parent. This is one of the most convenient ways to apply for a Social Security card for a newborn baby.
Can I apply for my baby Social Security card online?
Don’t Miss: When Can I Claim Social Security
Social Security Card Replacement Limits
In situations that require someone to produce a Social Security card, getting a copy of it is a fairly easy process. Applicants dont even have to pay for the replacement card, and they’re allowed up to three replacement cards in a year and 10 replacement cards over their lifetimes. The SSA may issue additional cards on a case-by-case basis that exceeds these limits due to compelling circumstances. Two exceptions that are never considered in these limits are legal changes to someones name and changes in someones alien status that results in a required change to the restrictive legend on the card. Read More:How to Order a Replacement Social Security Card Online
Your Social Security Number Is The Key
Originally, your Social Security number was a way for the government to track your earnings and pay you retirement benefits. But over the years, it has become much more than that. It is the key to a lot of your personal information. With your name and SSN, an identity thief could open new credit and bank accounts, rent an apartment, or even get a job.
Also Check: How To Replace My Social Security Card In Texas
How Do Thieves Profit From Stolen Social Security Cards
Identity thieves can use your SSN to apply for more credit in your name. Of course, the scammers never pay the bills, which can damage your credit, and cause you to get calls from unknown credit demanding payment for items you never bought. They may also place your Social Security number on the Dark Web to sell to other identity thieves.
Types Of Social Security Cards
We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number. If you are not a U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident, you may have a work restriction listed on your card. The chart below explains the three types of cards that we issue:
Shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction.
We issue it to:
- People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.
Shows your name and Social Security number with the restriction, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION”.
We issue it to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.
Shows your name and Social Security number with the restriction, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT”.
We issue it to people from other countries who:
- are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but have a valid non-work reason for needing a Social Security number or
- need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
You May Like: How Much Social Security Can I Draw
What Is A Social Security Id
The social security ID is a document, given to every employee in Germany, that proves that you contribute to statutory insurance schemes like pension insurance or health insurance. It therefore identifies you as a member of the German social security system by designating you a unique social security number. You will usually need this number for:
- Starting a new job
- Drawing a pension
Submitting Your Application By Mail Or In Person
The final step is to submit the SS-5 form and your original or certified documents to your local Social Security office or card center, either by mail or in person. You can find the address online using the Social Security Administration’s Field Office Locator.
If you apply by mail, the office or center will mail your original documents back to you along with your new Social Security card.
One advantage of going in person is that you eliminate the possibility that sensitive or difficult-to-replace personal documents, such as your original birth certificate, driver’s license, or passport, will get lost or stolen in the mail. If you have any questions, you can also call that office beforehand and ask which documents you need to bring with you.
Generally, the Social Security Administration says, it will take two to four weeks to process your application and send you your card.
Recommended Reading: When Should You Apply For Social Security
Prepare Your Application Documents
2. Immigration Documents
3. All of your original I-20’s OR
- The signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 must be an original signature. It cannot be a rubber stamped signature.
They should be the exact same size as the original immigration documents.
3. Employment Letter
A letter from your on-campus employer on the employer’s letterhead verifying that you have secured employment. If it is not on original office letterhead, it must have an original signature in blue ink.
- Your academic department cannot issue the employment letter.
- There are several employers at UB . If you are not sure who your employer is, please ask your department who will pay you.
- If you are employed by the State of New York or Research Foundation, your letter will automatically be sent to you when your new hire paperwork is received by Human Resources. If you have not received the employer letter, please check with your department to see if your paperwork was submitted. If your paperwork was submitted and you still have not received the employer letter, please contact the appropriate person below.
State of New York
Contact: Amanda Brown or Carlos Gallardo – 645-4429 or 645-4430
Curricular Practical Training authorization on page 2 of your I-20
4. Letter Confirming Your Immigration Status OR Eligibility to Work in the U.S.
How Can Thieves Profit From Stealing My Social Security Card
Fraud artists can manipulate a stolen or lost Social Security card in a lot of waysall of which can lead to you taking a major financial hit. Here are three ways they do it.
Knowing how to get a new Social Security card makes sense given the potential costs if yours is lost or stolen.
Recommended Reading: Best Time To Retire Social Security