Social Security Office In Colorado Springs Co 80909
The Colorado Springs, CO Social Security Office #887 is located at 2306 E PIKES PEAK AVE in the 80909 zip code area. It serves all Colorado Springs and El Paso County residents and can be reached at .
This Social Security Office Administration in Colorado Springs, CO can provide help with disability benefits, Social Security benefits, new Social Security card, temporary and replacement Social Security card for a lost card, and more.
How To Find A Social Security Office Near You
You may be wondering, How do I find a Social Security office near me? Using the internet, you can easily locate SS application centers in your community. One of the simplest ways to find a program facility is to use this sites Social Security office locator. You can search for offices based on the city and state you live in.
Depending on the facility you use, you may need to schedule a Social Security office appointment so you can apply for benefits. You can also use this website to help you find contact information for your facility. The offices phone number and address can be found on the site. This site also provides the facilitys office hours, as well as driving directions so you can review the facilitys location.
Types Of Social Security Cards
Four different classifications of Social Security cards are issued. Such cards are issued by geographic location to:
There are two restricted types of Social Security cards:
- One reads “not valid for employment.” Such cards cannot be used as proof of work authorization, and are not acceptable as a List C document on the I-9 form.
- The other reads “valid for work only with DHS authorization”, or the older, “valid for work only with INS authorization.” These cards are issued to people who have temporary work authorization in the U.S from the Department of Homeland Security — the nation’s border agency. They can satisfy the I-9 requirement, if they are accompanied by a work authorization card.
The cards commonly display the cardholder’s name and number.
The new SSN card design utilizes both covert and overt security features created by the SSA and GPO design teams.
Also Check: Do Annuity Payments Affect Social Security
What If My Colorado Social Security Claim Is Denied
Approximately three to four months after you apply for disability, you’ll receive a written notice in the mail telling you whether you have been approved for benefits or your claim has been denied. Over 60% of those who apply for Social Security or SSI disability in Colorado receive a denial at the initial application stage. However, many of these Colorado disability applicants are awarded disability benefits at a later stage in the appeals process.
List Of Social Security Area Numbers
List showing the geographical location of the first three digits of the Social Security numbers assigned in the United States and its territories from 1973 until June 25, 2011. Repeated numbers indicate that they have been transferred to another location or they’re shared by more than one location.
On June 25, 2011, the SSA changed the SSN assignment process to “SSN randomization”. SSN randomization affects the SSN assignment process. Among its changes, it eliminates the geographical significance of the first three digits of the SSN, previously referred to as the Area Number, by no longer allocating the Area Numbers for assignment to individuals in specific states.
|SSN area number|
Read Also: How Can I Find Out My Social Security Number
Us Internal Revenue Service Irs
The Internal Revenue Service is responsible for administering the Internal Revenue Code , advising employers of their responsibilities, collecting taxes, and working with SSA and State Social Security Administrators on social security coverage and related tax issues. See Chapter 8, Internal Revenue Service.
Contact the U.S. Internal Revenue Service with questions regarding the following:
- Federal income tax
- Worker classification for employees not covered by a Section 218 Agreement
- Collection of social security or Medicare tax
- Completion and filing of Form W-2 and W-3
- Employment tax returns
- Definition of public retirement system
- Is an employee covered under mandatory social security?
- Are certain payments subject to social security or Medicare tax?
- Do I need a new employer identification number?
What You Need To Apply
- Social security numbers for applicants who have them
- Immigration document numbers for non-citizens
- The name, address, contact info, and birth date for applicants
- Employer and income information for everyone in your household. Examples include pay stubs or W2 forms.
- Other income information including Social Security Administration or Supplemental Security Income payments and mentions
- Information and policy numbers for health insurance plans covering members of your household, including Medicare
We may ask for more information if we cant verify what you tell us through our electronic data sources.
Recommended Reading: How To Activate Social Security Benefits
What Kind Of Documentation Do I Need To Bring
The documentation you need to bring varies depending on what type of business you need to conduct at your local office. However, there are a few things that you should always bring along to your appointment. First, you need to bring your Social Security card. You will also need to have a valid photo ID, like a driverâs license or passport. In some cases, you might need a marriage certificate or divorce decree if you need to apply for spousal benefits. You might also need a death certificate when applying for survivor benefits. These are the most common documents that you will need at the Social Security office.
Show Up With Your Documents
When you call for the appointment, be sure to ask the Claims Specialist which forms you should bring, and take notes. It may require some time to locate your documents, but if you cannot find all of them, bring what you have.
If you forget a document or cant find it, you may need to make another trip so its worth checking the notes you took while speaking with the Claims Specialist.
You should always bring your Social Security Card and a copy of any personal identifying information . If you have a US passport or US birth certificate, take them with you.
If you are not a US citizen or are naturalized, bring all documentation relating to your temporary or permanent resident status to your appointment.
Recommended Reading: Social Security Disability Caregiver Pay
How To Apply For Social Security Benefits
The Social Security Administration office is responsible for receiving and processing candidates applications for enrollment. There are several different ways you can apply for Social Security. For example, you can:
- Apply for benefits online. The SSA manages several different benefits programs. If the application you need is online, you may use it to request to enroll.
- Apply by phone. You can submit your Social Security application by phone.
- Apply in person. If you live near your facility, you can apply in person at one of the Social Security locations near you.
If you apply at one of the facilities, keep in mind you may need to schedule a Social Security appointment beforehand. While not always required, these appointments can help ensure you can speak with a representative quickly. If you live outside the United States and are wondering how to apply for Social Security, it is possible to complete an application. To request benefits, you should contact a U.S. consulate, embassy or SS office abroad.
This site is not affiliated with the SSA or any other government services.
Disability Hearings In Colorado
You can appeal a disability denial by requesting a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge . The average wait for a Social Security disability hearing in Colorado is 10 months from the date a hearing is requested at the Denver hearing office, or 9 months at the Colorado Springs hearing office .
At your Colorado disability hearing, you will have the chance to speak directly to the ALJ, who will be the one deciding whether or not you’re eligible for Social Security benefits. The judge may ask you questions regarding your condition, previous employment, daily routine, and what you can or can’t do. There could be a doctor or vocational expert present to give their opinion about your case.
You will receive the judge’s decision in the mail, usually within 30 days of your hearing. In rare instances, an ALJ will announce their decision at a disability hearing.
In 2021-2022, 49% of ALJ decisions were favorable , and 51% were unfavorable . If you receive an unfavorable decision following your hearing, there are two more steps in the disability claim appeals process: the Appeals Council review and a federal court lawsuit in the US District Court for the District of Colorado.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Renew My Social Security Card
Prepare For Your Appointment
- Schedule your appointment ahead of time.
- Bring the following items with you:
- A current government-issued photo ID.
- A taxpayer identification number, such as a Social Security number.
- Any other documentation you need for your appointment.
Applying For Social Security Disability Benefits In Colorado What You Need To Know
There are generally three stages in the application process for Social Security Disability benefits: initial application, reconsideration, and the hearing. In this table, you can see how Colorado compares to the national average when it comes to approval rates at each of those stages.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Get Burial Benefits From Social Security
How Do I Protect Myself From Social Security Scams
Scammers use phone calls, emails, text messages, and letters to impersonate Social Security personnel and trick people into giving up personal information.
Common tactics include asking for your Social Security number and threatening to cut off Social Security benefits if personal information isnt provided.
Always remember, the Social Security Administration offers free forms and services.
If you suspect that youve been a victim of a Social Security scam or wish to report any attempts, you can call the Office of the Inspector General hotline from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, excluding Federal holidays.
You can also submit a fraud report through the OIG website.
Can I Schedule An Appointment With The Colorado Springs Social Security Office
The Social Security Administration does not currently have online appointment scheduler.
The SSA website, SSA.gov, is the best way for most people to get help.
If you cannot use the website, or need more help, you can contact your local office phone number or national 800 number for help scheduling an appointment.
When visiting a local field office, appointment is not required. However, if you contact the office and schedule, it may reduce the time you spend waiting for help.
Social Security Offices By State
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Accept payments via phone, mail and walk-in related to Student Affairs operations.
- Collect cash and cash equivalents from various locations on central campus, including but not limited to Rec Center, Wardenburg Health Center, Center for Community, Graduate & Family Housing and University Memorial Center on an as needed basis but typically twice weekly.
- Daily cash balancing, currency exchange and deposit processing for Dining cash operations.
- Review and prepare all deposits resulting from above activity for the Office of Cash Management.
- Create accurate and consistent daily, monthly, and correcting journal entries, referencing financial accounting principles and policies set at system, university, and division levels.
- Promote ethical and sustainable business practices by identifying training and development opportunities or process improvements.
- Participate in working groups as needed to meet business objectives.
Technology & Software Proficiency
- Apply available technology effectively to fulfill required duties , Clover, Confluence).
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn new technologies.
- Strive to use available technologies and tools to promote sustainable business practices and improve procedures with a focus on efficiency and accuracy.
Read Also: How To Get Social Security Card For Newborn
How Does The Coronavirus Impact Social Security
The SSA has reopened all local offices for in-person services. The government agency recommends people who need help try online first, then phone, before making an in-person visit.
If you must visit an office, please be aware:
What You Should Know
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to follow the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
- New employees are responsible for providing proof of vaccination or receiving a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- This position will be mostly in person with some remote flexibility. We will discuss this more during the interview process.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Look Up Social Security Number
How Do I Change The Name On My Social Security Card
If you need to change the name on your Social Security card, you should submit an application to the Social Security Administration, along with the proper documentation. The Form SS-5 application should be completed and returned to the Social Security Administration by mail or in-person. Name changes cannot be accomplished online at this time. Remember that you will need to include evidence of your name change along with your application. This could be a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order of a legal name change.
Ssns Used In Advertising
Some SSNs used in advertising have rendered those numbers invalid. One famous instance of this occurred in 1938 when the E. H. Ferree Company in Lockport, New York, decided to promote its product by showing how a Social Security card would fit into its wallets. A sample card, used for display purposes, was placed in each wallet, which was sold by Woolworth and other department stores across the country the wallet manufacturer’s vice president and treasurer Douglas Patterson used the actual SSN of his secretary, Hilda Schrader Whitcher.
Even though the card was printed in red and had “specimen” printed across the front, many people used Whitcher’s SSN as their own. The Social Security Administration’s account of the incident also claims that the fake card was half the size of a real card, despite a miniature card being useless for its purpose and despite Whitcher’s holding two cards of apparently identical size in the accompanying photograph. Over time, the number that appeared has been claimed by a total of over 40,000 people as their own. The SSA initiated an advertising campaign stating that it was incorrect to use the number . However, the number was found to be in use by 12 individuals as late as 1977.
You May Like: What Do I Do If My Social Security Is Stolen
Lafayette Co Social Security Offices
Are you searching for Social Security Offices in Lafayette, CO? Social Security Administration Offices can offer assistance to you with numerous tasks.
There are many Social Security Offices in Lafayette, Colorado. Social Security Offices in Lafayette, CO can be of assistance with matters such as:
- Apply for Social Security Retirement Benefits) in Colorado
- Application Process for Supplemental Security Income in Colorado
- Application Process for Social Security Disability in Colorado
- Application Process for Medicare in Colorado
- Confirm Application Status
State Social Security Administrator
The State Social Security Administrator is the designated official legally appointed to act for the state in negotiations with the Social Security Administration. This official acts for the state with respect to the initial Section 218 Agreement and modifications, the performance of the states responsibilities under the Agreement, and in all state dealings concerning the administration of the Agreement. Each states Section 218 Agreement , and Social Security Regulation 404.1204, provide a legal obligation for each state to designate such an official. In many states the actual day-to-day responsibilities are delegated to the staff of the designated state official. The Colorado State Social Security Administrator is Dean Conder. You may contact him by email at or call 318-8060.
Contact the State Social Security Administrator with questions regarding the following:
- Existence or terms of a Section 218 Agreement
- Modifications to the Section 218 Agreement
- Treatment of a specific position under a Section 218 Agreement
- Other issues involving interpretation of state law
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Social Security For Ptsd