How To Get A Social Security Card
Drawbacks Of Locking Your Ssn
It might not make sense to lock your Social Security number if you dont have reason to believe that your identity has been compromised or that youre at serious risk of identity theft.
- When your Social Security number is locked, you cant use it either
- You cant use it to apply for a new job
- You cant use it to apply for credit
- Potential lenders wont be able to access your credit report or credit score
How Locking Your Social Security Number Works
Locking your Social Security number is a simple process of accessing the governments myE-Verify website. The site walks you through the necessary steps:
The lock lasts for a year unless you take steps to reverse it, and youll be notified in advance when the lock is about to expire so you can renew it if you want to.
Recommended Reading: How Much Social Security Will I Get At 64
Check Employer Verifications At My E
You can also check for the names of employers who have verified your eligibility to work in the U.S. if they went through the Department of Homeland Security E-Verify system. To do that, go to the myE-Verify webpage. If you see an employer whose name you do not recognize, someone else may be using your number to work in the U.S. The site also has a self-lock feature that lets you place a lock on your SSN.
S To Take If You Think Youve Been Scammed
The Social Security Administration publishes a useful booklet called “Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number.” In addition to basic protection tips, it provides information about what you should do if you believe your identity and SSN have been stolen or compromised.
The Social Security Administration closed all of its offices for in-person services in March 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Its online services, however, remain available.
Read Also: Www.ssa.gov/changeaddress.html
How Do I Remove Not Valid For Employment Social Security Card
RESTRICTIONS ON YOUR S.S. CARD: If you already have your Social Security card, but it is restricted as not valid for employment, or not valid without an USCIS employment authorization document, you should contact Social Security with your evidence of permanent resident status to have the restrictions removed.
Is Ssn Valid For Employment
You cannot work legally with just the Social Security card. The Social Security card itself does not give you permission to work. You will need an immigration permitsuch as an L-1 or TNto legally work. For example, you can get a social security number by showing temporary work status on your form I-94.
Checking Your Credit Score
The most common way to catch unauthorized activity is by checking your credit information. If an account appears that you did not initiate, someone is using your Social Security number.
You can check your credit score using a third-party service like or check with your credit card company to see if they have such a feature.
If youre applying for a new line of credit and get turned down, this could mean that there are fraudulent accounts or activities that are affecting your credit score.
Consider An Identity Protection Service
You can register with an identity protection service such as LifeLock, IdentityForce, or Identity Guard. Such companies charge fees that typically start around $10 a month. Banks and credit unions also have packages they sell to customers, as do major agencies such as Experian and TransUnion. Many of the best credit monitoring services also offer identity protection tools and services.
Visit Identitytheftgov To Get A Recovery Plan
You can visit IdentityTheft.gov to report identity theft and, more importantly, set up a recovery plan, or you can call 877-438-4338 to do so. Both will guide you through a process that includes:
Dont Send Your Ssn Via An Electronic Device
Never type your SSN into an email or instant message and send it. The majority of such messages can be intercepted and read. Also, dont leave a voicemail that includes your SSN. If you need to contact someone and give them your number, its best to do it in person. The second best way is to reach them on the phone and do it live.
You May Like: 154 Pierrepont Street Sixth Floor Brooklyn Ny 11201
How Can I Show That I Am Ineligible For An Ssn
The Social Security Administration issues a letter of ineligibility for those individuals who are unable to apply for the SSN. This can be helpful to show government agencies that normally require an SSN. For example, you could show this letter to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles instead of a valid SSN card when applying for a New York State driver’s license.
To request the letter, you need to take your immigration documents to a Social Security Administration office. For many purposes, the ineligibility letter is considered valid for only 30 days from the date it is printed.
Why Should I Verify Names And Ssns Online
- Correct names and SSNs on W-2 wage reports are the keys to the successful processing of your annual wage report submission.
- It’s faster and easier to use than submitting your requests paper listings or using Social Security’s telephone verification option.
- Results in more accurate wage reports.
- Saves processing costs and reduces the number of W-2c’s.
- Allows Social Security to give the proper credit to your employees’ earnings record, which will be important information in determining their Social Security benefits in the future.
Also Check: How Can I Check My Social Security Status
Is Ssn Still Valid
Is the Social Security number that I obtained still valid? There is no expiration date on it. Though a Social Security number itself never expires, and the one you have will always be yours, even if you become legal in the future, you are technically not supposed to use it for employment or other purposes.
What If Someone Steals My Social Security Number
All of this is of course very interesting, but lets bring it back to the point of this article: what if some bad guy steals, obtains, guesses at, or otherwise gets hold of your Social Security Number? As it happens, all kinds of bad things!
Because you have to have a Social Security Number to get a job in the United States , crooks are very fond of stealing SSNs specifically for the purpose of selling them to people who do not already have permission to work in the United States, so that those people can get a job.
Nothing is wrong with people getting jobs, of course, but if they are using your Social Security Number, it can cause untold confusion and issues with your taxes and your Social Security benefits. You could even LOSE your Social Security benefits and that can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.
As you can see, it is very important for you to be able to tell whether someone is using your Social Security Number without your permission. In this article, I will show you several methods of detecting whether your Social Security Number has been compromised.
Also Check: Social Security Change Of Mailing Address
Real Id Proof Of Social Security Number
You must provide your Social Security Number on the DC DMV DL/ID Card application. DC DMV will electronically verify the Social Security Number with the Social Security Administration. If the Social Security Number is verified, no additional documentation is required to prove your Social Security Number.
If your Social Security Number does not verify electronically with the Social Security Administration, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration to have your records updated.
Note: Your full legal name on your Proof of Identity document must match the name associated with the records at the Social Security Administration.
All District residents obtaining a REAL ID credential are required to provide proof of their Social Security Number. If you are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number, you must obtain a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating you are not allowed or ineligible to obtain a Social Security Number.
The Social Security Administration website is available at the link below:
Report The Death Of A Social Security Or Medicare Beneficiary
You must report the death of a family member receiving Social Security or Medicare benefits. The Social Security Administration processes death reports for both. Find out how you can report a death and how to cancel benefit payments. In addition to canceling SSA and Medicare benefits, find out what other benefits and accounts you should cancel.
Recommended Reading: What Will Social Security Pay
Someones Got Your Number What Can You Do
Figuring out that someone has your Social Security Number is one thing. Fixing the problem is another. If you think someone is using your Social Security Number, you need to move quickly.
You have four things you need to do. You need to contact the Federal Trade Commission to report identity theft, contact the credit reference agencies to report the theft, contact the Social Security Administration, and contact your local police.
- The FTC is at 1-877-438-4338 or . There is a form to complete to report identity theft.
- Contact the three credit reference agencies and ask them to place a freeze on your credit report. This will prevent any new applications being created in your name. This will stop more debt from piling up.
- Contact the SSA on 1-800-269-0271 or Log on to the IRS Identity Protection website to alert them and prevent any tax returns from being filed in your name.
- Optionally, but recommended, alert the Internet Crime Complaints Center at . They alert other agencies that your SSN has been compromised.
Once all that has been done, report the crime to your local police. If you know how the theft took place, for example, you had your wallet stolen, the police will want to know where the theft would have happened, and what transpired.
Paypal Demanding Social Security Number
No. What you describe is a contract. I never agreed to provide my Social Security number. Yet now PayPal, a private company, demands government information from me. PayPal is violating a contract. It’s true I can choose not to use PayPal, but PayPal has no right to make the demand.
Also, PayPal claims to need the info if you make over $20k per year through them or make more than 200 sales per year using them. I do neither.
You May Like: Get Social Security Early
Is My Old United States Social Security Number Still Valid
“Your past interactions with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service certainly wont be held against you in the future.”
The Irish Voice’s Green Card column provides advice on whether your old US social security card and the number are still usable years later.
I came to the U.S. seven years ago. I married an American citizen but it was a huge mistake. To make a very long story short I didnt even get a green card, though I had started the process for doing so. I did get a Social Security number and a document allowing me to work. I returned home to Ireland for two years, but now Im back in the U.S. I am divorced and looking to rebuild my life.
“Is the Social Security number that I obtained still valid? There is no expiration date on it. It would greatly help me if I could use it as I could probably obtain a license. And I ever have a chance to become legal again, would my past case be held against me? I never contacted immigration about it, and never followed through with my paperwork.
The Social Security Administration issues three different kinds of Social Security numbers ones for American citizens and legal permanent residents that have no restrictions at all ones for those with temporary legal status and lastly, those that are not valid for employment in the U.S.
‘ssn Not Recognized’: Why You May Be Experiencing An Issue
If you are experiencing an error relating to Social Security Number , you are most likely experiencing this issue for one of these reasons:
- Still Processing – You may be experiencing this error because you claim has not yet been processed. After establishing the claim, it can take up to 72 hours for your initial claim to be processed into the system.
- You’ve Already Filed – If you have already filed for the week and are trying to log back in to check the status of your claim, you may be receiving the error message because your claim has already been completed. The system will automatically say ‘SSN Not Recognized’ because your weekly filing is complete for the given week.
- Attempting to File a Claim too Early – The period to file a weekly claims begins on Sunday, as you will be filing benefits for the previous week. The filing period remains open from Sunday until Friday at 4:00 p.m. to file a weekly claim.
- Missed a Previous Deadline – You may be experieincing this error because you missed a previous deadline to file. This could have been due to a number of circumstances, including not being able to reach the Department of Labor. Due to the circumstances around COVID-19, please know that this will not result in a loss of benefits, and our staff is work as quickly as possible to deliver benefits. If you think you are experiencing the ‘SSN Not Recognized‘ issue due to missing a deadline, please contact the Department of Labor.
Also Check: Find A Person By Their Social Security Number
Protecting Yourself Against Fraud
Although SSN variations are not typically the result of identity theft or fraud, it’s always good to be aware of any changes in your credit report. Checking your credit report frequently or signing up for Experian’s free can help you catch signs of fraud earlier so you can act quickly to minimize any damage. Here are some other tips for preventing credit fraud:
- Don’t keep your Social Security card or number in your wallet or car.
- If your wallet is lost or stolen, contact your credit card issuers immediately to let them know your cards are missing.
- Shred any documents containing your personal information.
- Always use a secure connection when shopping online. Check for “https” in the URL. The “s” means the website is secure.
- Don’t check your bank account using public Wi-Fi.
- Create strong, unique passwords for every account. A secure password manager can help you keep track of them.
- Beware of scammers and take steps to avoid them. For example, if a business calls you and requests personal information, let them know you will hang up and call them back. By initiating the call using their publicly listed phone number or the customer service number on your billing statement, you can be sure you’re talking to the real deal.
- Be mindful of shoulder surfers. Don’t let anyone look over your shoulder while entering passwords or PINs.
Thanks for asking.
Shred Mail And Documents With Personal Details
Discarded mail and documents are a magnet for identity thieves. Dont just throw out papers that contain personal details such as your SSN. Get a paper shredder and use it on a regular basis. While youre at it, dont leave mail in an outside mailbox for long periods. Stealing mail is another way thieves can make off with your information.
Types Of Social Security Cards
We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number. If you are not a U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident, you may have a work restriction listed on your card. The chart below explains the three types of cards that we issue:
Shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction.
We issue it to:
- People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.
Shows your name and Social Security number with the restriction, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION”.
We issue it to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.
Shows your name and Social Security number with the restriction, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT”.
We issue it to people from other countries who:
- are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but have a valid non-work reason for needing a Social Security number or
- need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
My Employer Fired Me For Updating My Ssn What Can I Do
Under California Labor Code § 1024.6, your employer cannot fire, discriminate, retaliate, or take any adverse action against you if you update or try to update your personal information based on a lawful change of name, Social Security number, or federal employment authorization document.
Some examples of prohibited conduct by employers include:
- Firing an employee who attempts to update her Social Security number
- Demoting an employee who attempts to provide the employer with her new name
- Suspending an employee who attempts to update her Employment Authorization Document
If you feel that your employer has done any of the above, you can file a complaint with the Department of Labor Standards and Enforcement . If the DLSE decides that your employer has committed such retaliation against you, your employer may face a penalty of up to $10,000 for each incident of retaliation or suspension of its business license for a period of time. For more information on how to file a complaint with DLSE, visit Your complaint must be filed within six months after your employers retaliation against you.
Also Check: Social Security Monthly Benefit Amount